26 October 2012

Rekindling My Interests

Since starting university I had to put some of my hobbies on hold until I started getting myself into a routine. One of my hobbies is writing; I’ve always loved writing short stories. In fact, I thought I’d share an extract from something I wrote after my first day at university. It’s nothing much but it kind of gives you some idea of how I was feeling on the morning of that day.

“Walking up the steps towards the entrance I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of apprehension - that intense feeling of butterflies whirling around my stomach was unmistakable. I felt sick with nerves. Was a really here!? What if they made a mistake? What if I wasn’t meant to be here at all? I remember walking through the doors with my hands intertwined with each other, fidgeting and trying my hardest to keep my anxiety at bay. I surveyed the entrance area as I stood there with what must have been a look of disbelief on my face - it sure felt that way inside.  

After bringing myself back to my senses, I looked to my left and saw the familiar sign that read ‘Costa Coffee’. Why not? I thought to myself, I had time. As I walked through the door way, slowly but surely the unmistakable delectable aroma of coffee began to fill my nostrils, taking me to a quiet, peaceful place that made me feel calm again – it’s strange what effects certain smells can have on you.  With time to spare I collected my coffee, sat down on one of the empty sofas, and began pondering on what the day would hold for me. 

Glaring out of the window, I couldn’t help but notice all the self-assured, competent students enter the building for what was, for them at least, an ordinary day. I hoped I would one day be like that. “Hello” Said a voice. I looked over at the sofa opposite me to see a young girl sitting there, she looked somewhat familiar. “Hi”, I replied. I couldn’t help but notice that she looked how I felt. “Sorry to bother you, but… are you new?” She asked, with a slight quiver in her voice. “Yes” I said, “Is it your first day too? I think I remember you from the interview day”. She confirmed she was there and that this was indeed her first day too. “Nervous?” I asked. She nodded, stared at the floor as though willing the ground to swallow her whole. I looked at the time and noticed it was time to head up to the room. “Come on”, I said, “We’re going to be just fine”.

This really makes me remember how I felt that day, and I can say it was a total contrast to how I’m feeling now. I actually do feel like one of those self-assured students, entering the building each morning with confidence and enthusiasm… I won’t say competent yet, haha. I still have a lot to learn. I got told today that I could sign up for a writing class in my spare time if I wanted to continue with my writing, doing it at uni would definitely be convenient.

I’m really looking forward to the coming weeks; so much is going to be happening. Our assignment is finally going to be launched, we’ll be doing some more clinical skills sessions, receiving our uniforms, and most exciting of all, we’ll be finding out where we are going on placements, I cannot wait.

Hope you're all getting on well with whatever you are doing. =)

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! You should post more of your story extracts on here! Isn't it amazing what a few weeks can do to your confidence! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth. I may post a few other extracts as time goes on. I have an opening to a story that I'm testing on people to see if they'd want to read more. A few weeks can definitely do a lot, although not 100% confident in my abilities as a nurse just yet, I'm definitely enthusiastic and up for learning as much as I can. x

    ReplyDelete