2 November 2012

The Hard Work Starts Now

I thought I'd post another entry as I've been asked my a few people when my next one is going to be. I can only apologise that I'm not posting as often as I originally thought I would be. My fellow student nurses will agree that before long university life slowly begins to take over and you find yourself with less and less free time, and in my personal opinion that's not a bad thing. I'm enjoying getting my teeth stuck into the challenge.

After the recent lecture we had I am even more determined to work hard. We had a lecture on the different ways in which we'll be assessed throughout the course, the pass marks required to pass each year, how many chances we get, and the consequences of failing. It really brought it home just how hard we need to work. I'll give you a brief overview of how it works at my uni, it may be similar for you, I don't know lol. In terms of academic work, we get 4 opportunities to pass, however, we've been told we get 2 chances in semester 1, and 1 chances in semester 2. If we don't pass after those chances, we have to step off the course for up to 6 months and rejoin with the new cohort for our final chance. If we fail then, we have to step off the course. We also have 2 chances to pass practice placement, if we fail both times, we step off the course, and they emphasised that even if we get to our last placement of year 3 and we've been excellent throughout the course both in academic work and on placement, if we fail that final placement, we're off the course with no exceptions and we'll only get a CertHE. It's brutal. I would be devastated if I got that far and then failed. Fingers crossed it never comes to that. However, despite how tough it sounds, I guess there's a reason for it. For my fellow student nurses, how does it work at your uni. I'd be interested in seeing a post from you explaining it.

On a more happy note, it was my birthday on Wednesday, haha. I had a brilliant day. I had my kids stay over on the Tuesday so I could take them to school, and then I picked them up again and spent some time with them. It was a great day. I didn't do anything that exciting, like go out drinking. I know, sounds a bit boring, but I'm actually not much of a drinker. I'd pick a night in on the sofa every time. There's nothing better than the creature comforts of home, haha.

I hope everyone is doing well, and you're all settling in OK. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi :)

    Love your blog, I'm a second year MH student nurse, loving what I do but spending most of my free time absolutely exhausted! I can remember the assessment talk during the first few weeks on the course, I think it scared us all to death and needless to say we all passed our first semester without to many wobbles!

    Hope you enjoy your course, look forward to reading more in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Laura, it's always great to hear that people are enjoying my blog.

    I've just had a peak at yours and it looks great! It's nice to see someone who has kept it up for so long, kind of reassures me that it is possible to keep this up lol.

    Take care & Thanks for reading. =)

    ReplyDelete