8 October 2012

And So It Begins

Hi everyone. It has been a while since my last post, this is mainly because I have been really busy and have been trying to get my head around all of this. It is all so new and after my induction week I admit I had some niggling doubts about whether I could really do this. During induction we had a course overview lecture which told us how the course works and what is expected of us. They went through the grading system and what happens if we fail.

We got told that in each year we have 4 modules to complete which are each worth 15 credits, and in terms of academic work, we get 4 attempts to pass the first year. This includes assignments, OSCE's (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) and numeracy exams. In practice, we get 2 attempts to pass placements. If we fail to pass after all of those attempts, we are out, simple as that. We could reach the final placement of our third year, and if we failed that placement a second time, the previous years would count for nothing, and we would be dismissed from the course... ouch! We also got told that when it comes to our maths exams, in first year we have to get 70% to pass, second year 80% and third year 90%, if we are so much as one mark off, we are removed from the course for 6 months, and we then get to retake. This really began to make me wonder if I was really ready for this, but I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be, and I'm going to give it a damn good go. It all sounds harsh but I guess they have to be, and I respect that.

We have also been told that we won't find out our placements until 4 weeks prior to placement, we also have to pass the mandatory training that will come in the following weeks. If we fail, we can't go on to placement.

Tomorrow is my first day of lectures, we are starting our module launch and then having a lecture on cells and homeostasis. I'm really looking forward to this because I think physiology is one of my strong points. Even though I have done plenty of reading over the summer, I am going to spend today going over everything again so it's all fresh in my mind. I really can't wait to get started. Wednesday is another day off (feel like a part time lol) and thursday we have a field specific seminar and a lecture of the history of nursing (really can't wait for that one).

I'm not going to post a blog on each day, if there is anything in particular I want to talk about then you may find posts on the Student Nurse Forums. Hope all my fellow student nurses are getting on well at uni. Looking forward to reading more updates from you all. To all my followers aren't doing nursing, apologies if you were anticipating more blogs from me, but I guess I didn't realise how hectic uni life was going to be lol.

Speak to you all soon. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment