20 October 2012

Uni Life Thus Far

Hello Everyone...

My apologies that it has been so long since my last post. There has been sooooooo much going on. Not so much in terms of doing assignments or essays (wish I was), but our first module is all about preparing us for placement. We have been going through so much, things such as basic A&P, Law and ethics, the NMC Code, infection control,  record keeping, etc. We start our clinical skills sessions next week which will be on communication, basic life support and patient handling. I'm really looking forward to these sessions.

A big part of the module is also based on our personal, professional and academic development. So we have been given an online portfolio (an e-portfolio) to work on, this is a place where we can post things such as journals, blogs, reflections, anything to do with our development which our personal tutor can see and give us feedback. We can also create a resumé/CV. That is only the basics, there is so much more you can do with it. I think it's brilliant. We have also been given our Practice Placement Support Packs, this contains 2 booklets, one being our Ongoing Achievement Record and the other is our Assessment of Practice book which contains many, many competencies we have to learn, which will also be graded on by our mentor! It also contains a CD which holds all the documents we need for placement. I've loved going through it all, reading everything that needs to be learned makes it all so much more real!

We have had it drilled into us how important professionalism is, and I have listened very carefully about what is and isn't acceptable, so after hearing everything I am being even more careful now about what I post. I am not going to go into specifics about anything I write so my apologies if things I talk about appear a little vague.

We won't be set an assignment for another couple of weeks so I have been keeping myself busy with all our pre-lecture reading and post-lecture activities. We also have online learning to complete which is actually really interesting - this whole self directed learning thing is quite fun! We're still waiting to be given our uniforms, so for now, we just have to wear something appropriate for our clinical skills sessions. We have a session coming up that empthasises on personal care, and involves us feeding each other and brushing each others teeth... hmm, that should be interesting...!

Well, I have a busy week next week so I will post when possible. Hope you're all well.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment