4 April 2013

Leaving Nursing: The Final Word

I'm sad to say that my nursing journey has come to an end... I came to the realisation that nursing wasn't for me and I wasn't putting my all in to it. As hard as it was to make the decision to leave, I can't force myself into a career in which I'm not 100% dedicated to. I honestly thought nursing was for me. I didn't apply for the course on a whim, I worked for 4 years as a HCA and worked with numerous nurses and truly thought it would be the ideal career for me. I guess you just don't know how it's going to be until you're finally there.

As I have already told others, my decision to leave was never based on any bad experiences or anything like that. My placement was amazing and I have learnt things from exceptional mentors that I will keep with me for a long time, and the university I was at is incredible. Any student would be lucky to be there. I loved it, so much so, I fully intend to go back on another course.

So, where do I go from here? Well, whilst on placement I got to visit the radiology department and I was completely fascinated by it. I am really into anatomy and physiology and I know I still want a career in which I can still use that knowledge and learn even more, so diagnostic radiography seems a strong possibility. I have work experience arranged for Tues 9th April to shadow a radiographer which I'm really looking forward to, and if indeed it is something that I end up enjoying I will apply to do a Diagnostic Radiography degree in 2014.

I know a lot of people I have already told about my leaving are shocked, it wasn't easy for me, and no one can say I didn't go into it with every confidence and enthusiasm. Previous blogs can account for that. It would have been unfair of me to carry on for the sake of it, I've heard of many people going into nursing for the sole reason that their course is paid for by the NHS and they get a job at the end of it, that isn't the kind of person I am. There's no point me going through the course halfhearted, I wouldn't be any use to anyone. I've always trusted my instincts, it has now been nearly 6 weeks since I left and I don't regret it at all. I know I did the right thing and I'm now looking forward to my new journey. I may even start a blog for that when the time comes.

If anyone has any questions or would like to say anything, please leave comments below.

Thank you to everyone who has supported me since I started this journey with the Access course in 2011, up to now. Your support has meant a great deal.

All the best. =)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie

    Sorry that things didn't work out, though well done for having the courage to decide its not for you. Will be sad not to read your blog anymore. Take care, and wishing you all the best.

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      Thanks. Don't worry, I'm sure this isn't the last you will hear from me. I may start a new blog to keep everyone informed of what I'm doing. =)

      Take care,

      Jamie x

      Delete